Monday 12 January 2015

A typical day in summer..................

Nothing makes a farmer happier than the sound of steady rain on your roof just when you were thinking that rain was needed again! That is exactly what has happened here over the past day or two with more than 35 mls of rain falling. The paddocks are brilliant green and lush with natural pastures. Some of the paddocks have been shut up with the aim to make silage in the next week or two. Last year we used all of our silage we had stockpiled over the last two years. It would have cost us a huge amount of money if we had had to buy in the feed we used during the very dry winter and spring last year. Silage and hay making is a very busy time on farm, especially with the day to day jobs which still have to happen everyday. The cows still need to be milked twice a day, the springers checked, the beef cattle checked and managed.
Over the past two days I have been able to get some sewing and quilting done. I am working on a Di Ford Hall designed reproduction quilt called "Rotherfield's Greys". I am up to border 7  and pleased with my progress. I normally look after my grand daughter, Claire today but she was unwell and having the day at home with her Dad, so I took the opportunity to sew again today.
Tomorrow's aim is to make some tomato relish as my Dad visited yesterday and brought me a large quantity of beautiful home grown tomatoes. I shared some with family but still have too many left to eat. Our own tomato plants are just starting to ripen and supply us with our own produce as well. I love seeing and eating all the fresh produce we grow at this time of year.

Tomorrow's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment