Wednesday 4 March 2015

Shopping local...

It seems that most Fridays I make a trip to our small local town. I usually have farm jobs to do like picking up vet supplies, dairy supplies or spare parts for machinery. I also do a food shop at our local supermarket, visit the bank, library and any other shops I need to make purchases. We have always tried to shop locally even when it comes to major purchases like cars, tractors and machinery. We also always try to use local trades people and builders.We use the local RTA at our council chambers, pay our shire rates in person and generally make an effort in using whatever is available to ensure we don't lose our local businesses and services.
 It is a wonderful experience to know that a trip to town is a social outing where you get to catch up with those people who happily serve you and whose businesses you support. These people all call you by name and are eager for a chat. You can never walk down our main street without being stopped to catch up with a friend or acquaintance. A so called "quick trip to town" is never a quick trip.
 I know that some things are more expensive in our small town than in larger towns and I can't buy everything we need. However it is through such support as ours for our local businesses that these businesses keep going and employ local people.
Last Friday I had to get new tyres on the car and so had quite a bit of time to fill. I  visited one of the local Church Op Shops which is only open on Fridays. You never know what wonderful things you might find. Below are pictures of my visit. The doilies I will use in a future craft project. I loved the little embroidered serviettes and the pure linen handkerchief is still in its original wrapping. I will crochet an edge and give to one of the girls in my family.



Delft plate and Willow Tree cup, saucer and plate.

I love blue and white china and will add these to my growing collection. I think I spent $13 altogether and I have supported one of our local churches and am happy that all these items will be reused and recycled.
All small country towns are in the same predicament as ours. That is, if the locals don't buy and support the local businesses then there will be fewer shops and businesses in our town. We lose the convenience of shopping locally, will need to travel much further to make our purchases and lose the social aspect of a small community we all love. We try our best to stop this from happening.
Until next time...
Carol

1 comment:

  1. We have the same taste in Op-Shop finds, I can't resist embroidered sandwich doileys, or blue and white china. It's all for a good cause, and an innocent amusement. I try to support our local businesses too, because I don't want to be complaining that there are none at all.

    ReplyDelete