Wednesday 16 March 2016

A new venture.....Dungog by Design

Last blog I made a passing comment about a new venture. Many of you are aware of my love of sewing, quilting and other handicrafts and I am very happy to say that my new venture relates to sewing.

Every Christmas I love to give my girls a handmade gift and last year I searched for something a little different. I came across handmade rope bags. I watched the technique on You tube and decided to give it a go. The bags were a huge success with the girls and they have been using them regularly when they go to the markets. I quickly became addicted to this technique and have had orders for my bags from friends. I also did a quick workshop at the quilting group I am a member of to show the girls how to make them. I love making items that are practical and use natural fibres.















Another friend suggested I approach Dungog by Design - an artisan cooperative in my nearby town- to see if they would be interested in selling my bags. I am delighted to say that after a friendly interview, my rope bags, bowls and other items were well received and are available for sale at the local shop. It is lovely to have an outlet for my work with such a friendly and supportive group. The cooperative is committed to local artisans making work which is "Original, Handmade , Inspiring". If ever you come through Dungog the shop is worth a visit - 224 Dowling Street, Dungog (opposite the IGA). It is open on Thursday and Friday from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Members of the group take turns in the running of the shop during opening hours so I am also going to have loads of fun promoting all the lovely items in the store to locals and visitors to our small local town.
Dungog by Design also has  a facebook page which features the different artists and their works.


So my busy life has just become a little bit busier but with lots of fun to come. When you love doing something it really isn't work is it?

Until next time.....
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment